Plastics & Chemicals
Our Plastics and Chemicals Cluster
- Lewisburg is home to a number of Plastics and Chemicals companies including the following:
- Berry Plastics makes Pallet Stretch Wrap in Lewisburg employing 91 people
- Trison Coatings makes Powder Coatings and Adhesives employing 42 people in Lewisburg
- ALX Enterprises makes Dry Resin Pellets in Lewisburg
- Kyzer Plastics does Plastics/Injection Molding for Inkjet Cartridges and Small Molding Projects in Lewisburg
- Owen Plastics does Plastics/Injection Molding and Small Molding Projects in Lewisburg
- Will & Baumer Candle manufactures Candles in Lewisburg
- Since 2011 employees in the following Plastics/Chemical sectors have grown in our 9-county labor shed:
- 264% growth since 2011 in Asphalt Single and Coating Materials Manufacturing
- 252% growth since 2011 in Plastics Bag and Pouch Manufacturing
- 65% growth since 2011 in Polish and Other Sanitation Good Manufacturing
- 62% growth since 2011 in Custom Compounding of Purchased Resins
- 31% growth since 2011 in Unlaminated Packaging Plastics Film and Sheet (except Packaging) Manufacturing
- 29% growth since 2011 in Urethane and Other Foam Product (except Polystyrene) Manufacturing
- 21% growth since 2011 in Explosives Manufacturing
- 19% growth since 2011 in Plastics Plumbing Fixture Manufacturing
- 8% growth since 2011 in Pesticide and Other Agricultural Chemical Manufacturing
- 6% growth since 2011 in Plastics Packaging Film and Sheet (including Laminated) Manufacturing
- Our 9-county labor shed features more workers in the following Plastics/Chemical sectors than the average US labor shed:
- 3 times more in Synthetic Dye and Pigment Manufacturing than the US average
- 3 times more in Plastics Packaging Film and Sheet (including Laminated) Manufacturing
- 3 times more in Explosives Manufacturing than the US average
- 2 times more in Custom Compounding of Purchased Resins than the US average
- 2 times more in Unlaminated Plastics Film and Sheet (except Packaging) Manufacturing
- 2 times more in Plastics Plumbing Fixture Manufacturing
- We are served by the Lewisburg Electric System which is a distributor for TVA. TVA has been ranked a Top 10 North American utility for leadership in economic development by Site Selection magazine for nine consecutive years.
- TVA has a diverse power mix with 11 coal-powered plants, 29 hydroelectric dams, three nuclear power plants (with six operating reactors), nine simple cycle natural gas plants, and five combined cycle gas plants.
- Natural gas service is provided by Lewisburg Gas Department serving homeowners (residential), business ( commercial) and factory (industrial) customers with 3743 service lines and 97 miles of main.
- Lewisburg Gas Department provides service to both the I-65 Business Park, off I-65 Exit 32 and Industrial Park in the city limits.
- LGD is served by Spectra Energy (East Tennessee Pipeline) transmission mains.
Water and Wastewater
- Lewisburg is served by the Lewisburg Water & Wastewater Department that draws its water from the Duck River.
- Source: Duck River
- Local Distributor - City: Lewisburg Water & Wastewater
- Capacity: 4.0M Gallons Per Day
- Current Consumption: 2.5M Gallons Per Day
- Storage Capacity: 6.1M Gallons Per Day
- Water: $16.59 1st 2K Gallons, $3.56 Avg. after 2K Gallons
- Treatment Type: Full Biological
- Local Distributor - City: Lewisburg Water & Wastewater
- Capacity: 6.0M Gallons Per Day
- Current Usage: 2.0M Gallons Per Day
- City Sewer Coverage: 90%
- Storm Sewer Coverage: 15%
- Solid Waste Disposal Type: Landfill
- Sewer: $19.47 1st 2K Gallons, $6.49 Avg. after 2K Gallons
Plastics/Chemical Companies in our Labor Shed:
- The following companies are located in our 9-county labor shed:
- 9 Paint and Coating Manufacturing
- 8 Plastics Material and Resin Manufacturing
- 7 Plastics Plumbing Fixture Manufacturing
- 5 Printing Ink Manufacturing
- 5 Urethane and Other Foam Product (except Polystyrene) Manufacturing
- 4 Plastics Packaging Film and Sheet (including Laminated) Manufacturing
- 4 Adhesive Manufacturing
- 4 Industrial Gas Manufacturing
- 4 Polish and Other Sanitation Good Manufacturing
- 3 Unlaminated Plastics Film and Sheet (except Packaging) Manufacturing
- 3 Custom Compounding of Purchased Resin
- 3 Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing
- 3 Synthetic Dye and Pigment Manufacturing
- 3 Asphalt Single and Coating Materials Manufacturing
- 2 Rubber and Plastics Hoses and Belting Manufacturing
- 2 Plastics Pipe and Pipe Fitting Manufacturing
- 2 Polystyrene Foam Product Manufacturing
- 1 Pesticide and Agricultural Chemical Manufacturing
- 1 Medicinal and Botanical Manufacturing
- 1 Explosives Manufacturing
- 1 Laminated Plastics Plate, Sheet (except Packaging), and Shape Manufacturing
- 1 Soap and Other Detergent Manufacturing
- 1 In-Vitro Diagnostic Substance Manufacturing
- 1 Plastics Bag and Pouch Manufacturing
- Lewisburg located on Interstate 65 and have 4 times more General Freight Trucking companies than the US average.
- Under 100 employees in Lewisburg are a member of a union
- Tennessee is a Right-To-Work state
- The following numbers of skilled people work in the Plastics/Chemicals sector in our 9-county labor shed:
- 3,138 Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers
- 564 Mixing and Blending Machine Operators
- 542 Coating, Painting, and Spray Machine Operators
- 475 Chemical Equipment Operators
- 467 Molding Machine Operators
- 447 Cutting and Slicing Machine Operators
- 327 Chemical Technicians
- 313 Extruding Machine Operators
- 234 Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- 183 Chemists
- 124 Separating Machine Operators
- 113 Materials Engineers
- 102 Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Operators
- 83 Chemical Plant and Systems Operators
- 81 Chemical Engineers
- 11 Materials Scientists
- 25,084 people are employed through temporary staffing agencies in our 9-county labor shed
Free Community or Technical College Training for all Tennesseans - Tennessee Promise
- The Tennessee Promise provides free tuition through Columbia State Community College for either a degree or certificate program for graduating high schoolers.
- Columbia State features degree and certificate programs in Advanced Integrated Industrial Technology. Click here to view the curriculum for the degree program:
Chemical, Materials, Polymer, and Biomolecular University Programs
- Vanderbilt University (only 49miles from Lewisburg) features a myriad of Research and Development in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Click here to view all the research performed at Vanderbilt in this field:
- Additionally Vanderbilt features Chemical and Materials Engineering degrees.
- The Academic Ranking of World Universities ranks Vanderbilt as the 49th best university in the entire world.
- Lewisburg is positioned in close proximity to Middle Tennessee State University (located 35 miles from Lewisburg) with over 22,000 students which features a Department of Chemistry Program which has a portion of its program focusing on materials/polymer.
- The University of Tennessee has 16th best Materials Engineering School in the USA according to www.best-engineering-colleges.com.
K-12 Public Schools
- The Marshall County School System serves approximately 5,400 enrolled students from K-12 per year.
- Our system ranks in the top 75% of all school districts in Tennessee by www.schooldigger.com.
- In 2014, our students performed better than the state average in testing in the following areas:
- 9% better in English I
- 8% better in Algebra II
- 7% better in Algebra I
- 4% better in Biology I
- 2% better in US History
- The Nashville International Airport, located 49 miles from Lewisburg, is served by 13 carriers with more than 410 average daily arriving and departing flights with non-stop service to 57 airports. The following carriers serve the airport:
- Air Canada
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- American Eagle
- Boutique Air
- Delta Air Lines
- Delta Connection
- Frontier Airlines
- JetBlue Airways
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- United Express
- Non-stop service is provided to and from the following airports through Nashville:
- There are no personal income taxes on wages and salaries in Tennessee.
- The state Corporate Income Tax rate in Tennessee is 6.5%.
- According to The Tax Foundation, Tennessee has the lowest state debt per capita in the country, meaning we will have sustainable, low taxes for the foreseeable future.
- In 2015, Tennessee was named the “Fourth Best State in the Country for Business” by Chief Executive magazine.
Available Buildings and Sites
- Click here to view Lewisburg’s incentives programs:
- Click here to view the State of Tennessee’s incentives programs:
- Click here to view incentives from TVA: